Tuesday 3 June 2014

Quintessentially British

Well it has been a while since I put fingers to keyboard.  I’ve just been SO busy.  A couple of days with Cat’s Paw Theatre rehearsing new piece for 16 +, getting all the final bits ready for the summer and trying to rest my poor damaged ankle.  I am pleased to say the last is now almost better.  The swelling has reduced and although it is still painful, especially after a day on my pins, it is much better really.  I can unicycle and do all the high balances so that’s all that matters!

The season has well and truly started with Llandudno a distant past and the Anglesey Vintage Machinery Rally over two weeks ago.  My first visit to this and a most enjoyable weekend all round.  Friendly people and the weather was fine.  Not as fine as the rest of the UK apparently which basked in summer heat.  Anglesey was cloudy and rather windy, but no rain.  Which is not what can be said for the Bank Holiday weekend Saturday at the Hertfordshire County Show.  It was a fine day for the set up when I arrived on the Friday but the rain started in the middle of the night and just didn’t stop.  Well until about 11.00 when a break in the general sogginess meant I could set up shop and announce the first show.  The 12.00 show was very busy and enjoyable, likewise the second, but the third was about half way through when the dark skies presaged a thunder storm of biblical proportions.  The dogs rushed for the safety of the lorry and I rescued props from the deluge!  My occasional call up line ‘The last little show at the end of the world’ seemed it might be very appropriate, and I was seriously worried about the awning which shook and billowed in the angry wind.

But hey, a couple of hours later and a clear sky and open sky sunset and the Sunday forecast was not nearly as bad.  Over 15,000 advance tickets sold and a very busy day.  It’s a lovely County Show, and a really British affair with all the stewards in bowler hats and collars and ties. Very nice!  The shows were packed and I had several very appreciative emails along with an invitation to return next year.  That’s the way to do it!

The other news is that a young film maker called Rhys Edwards (believe it or not, he’s Welsh) is going to make a documentary film about me and the strange life I live!  He is a wonderful cameraman and director.  He recently won a major National film award with a real joy of a three-minute documentary about a sheep farming family near Caernarfon.  The film is called ‘A Good Bitch’ and it is three minutes of real joy.  Check it out on Rhys’ website http://www.rhysedwards.tv

He started filming at the Crich Tramway Village.  Apart from the day he was there, I spent four extremely soggy days there.  But what a lovely place. Check it out on (www.tramway.co.uk). The really great thing about it is the people who work there.  Another army of volunteers all dedicated to keeping the history of trams alive.  I especially liked Phil and Angie who made my stay really special. I was privileged to have the lorry parked in the corner of the tramyard during my stay and every morning the trams were taken from the shed by the volunteers, all in uniform and most in their sixties and seventies I guess, with the occasional young whippersnapper amongst them.  It was like watching Dad’s Army live.  Wonderful and heart-warmingly British.  I love these eccentrics.  The ones who dress up for fun and do something they love doing.  Bury me on their side of the grave yard!

The Village is a wonderful attraction and you must definitely put it on your list of must-go places.

All the best from a road near you,

Mr Alexander

PS I am adding a photo on each blog called ‘from my window’, so you can have some idea of the fantastic places I stay in.  Today’s is the tram yard at Crich with the Red Lion ( a famous pub which was taken down brick by brick and reconstructed here) in the background and the trams waiting in the shed




No comments:

Post a Comment